The beginnings of the club can be traced back to 1955 when a steam party took place near Bridgwater.
The aims for which the Somerset Traction Engine Club (Benevolent ) Ltd has been established are:-
- To advance the education of the members and the general public by increasing and maintaining interest in:-
- Historic mechanically propelled vehicles including traction engines, steam rollers, and other steam vehicles.
- Other historic machinery including fair organs and equipment and agricultural machinery and equipment.
- Historic crafts and craftsmanship.
- To ensure that the Somerset Traction Engine Club (Benevolent) Ltd continues its success as a Club:-
- By encouraging membership.
- By providing an interesting and varied programme of events for members.
- By providing good communications and access to the club’s activities via published material and the internet.
- To organise an annual traction engine rally in order to promote the club and to further its aim of educating our members and the general public.
- To actively promote the club and ensure its ongoing success.